Wednesday, September 16, 2009

And They Lived Happily Ever After . . .

I had the pleasure this month of photographing a 50th wedding anniversary party. I will admit that the idea of a 50th wedding anniversary some days at this stage in my life seems like a marathon for which I'm not sure I have the energy. Like I'm somewhere on mile 6 and feeling like it's not too late to just duck out now. I've run enough to consider it a good work out but who am I kidding? I've just started this thing and I'm already tired and burning emotional energy like a weighted down SUV guzzles fuel. I doubt my ability to have the stamina to make it all the way to mile 26. So I approach a 50th Anniversary party like most people do - with curiosity and a desire to learn something about how it's possible. Who makes it to 50 years together and how do they do it?

Take a look at Dick and Carolyn Kelley.

It's clear joy has been an essential part of their marriage. The toasting portion was sweet but mostly funny, not overly sentimental. They are happy people who have loved living their lives together. It shows in all of their relationships and the way they interact with and respect one another. My favorite quote from Dick, "The best part (about 50 years) is it's not over!"

I know, me too right?

There were family members assembled. This is Carolyn's baby sister who flew in from Colorado.
And there were children and grandchildren and even great grandchildren.




The whole group all assembled. Boisterous and fun and a happy bunch.

Led by the stars of the show - the matriarch and patriarch of this grand clan - Dick and Carolyn. Such a testament of enduring love, grace, forgiveness, joy. Carolyn said the kids wanted to throw them a party to celebrate their marriage. And she said, "But what they don't realize is that we celebrate our marriage every day."



So that's how it's done. It's as simple and as wondrous as that.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

How wonderful. Thanks for sharing your great work and your reflections.

Molly Lyons said...

gorgeous in every way: story, people, your art in capturing both.

goodmanlemur said...

absolutely stunning.