Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Brothers K

Sometime in the 90's, maybe even as many as 15 years ago I was living in New York City. I was on my way to work one morning, emerging from the subway onto one of Manhattan's busiest corners (34th & 7th), when who should I randomly run into but David, who had been one of my best friends in high school. Turns out he was on his way to work too. A coffee date later that day gave us ample time to catch up and make plans to get together with the now spouses. When I think of all we've shared both in high school and since that fateful day, I have to believe there was nothing random about it. It was one of the nicest gifts the Universe has ever presented me.

Here's David now, all grown up and handsome (well, OK, he was in high school too, but age seems to really agree with him). And with him is his precious family. Wife Erin, sons Graham and Noah.
Noah is the babycakes, the new toy. So he gets all the cooing and pumpkin pie attention. He is ridiculously cute in person. His parents refer to him as charming and cheerful. I must say I totally agree. He was sick while he was here and contrary to any other kid I've met, especially any 13 month old, it was as if he didn't even notice.

Erin is everything I ever expected of her as a mother. She is one of the most empathetic, naturally caring people I've ever met. Plus she's thoughtful, wise, and brilliant. So it was no surprise at all to see her so lovingly in action with her kids. What I love about this picture is how open and joyful she is. That pretty well sums up how she is with her kids.

And I must admit that, to me, David is one of the most amazing fathers. He so enthusiastically enjoys his children and his family and being a Dad. He shares with them his curiosity and creativity, his humor and good sense. He is undaunted by the tasks of parenting and seems to be energized by time with the kids. It's truly inspiring. It is obvious that fatherhood is the most important thing in the world to him. His devotion to his kids is nothing short of sacred.


Big brother Graham is almost too wonderful to describe. Pensive, silly, sweet, loving, smart, sensitive, kind. He is very into space right now. And by "very into" I mean at age 5 he knows way more about space and planets and stars and comets and such than I do. Which is why I love this picture. His brain is always working, not just thinking but also dreaming. Can't you just see the wonder?

He also has his rough and tumble, adventurous side. He and my son found these amazing climbing trees at the park. Graham didn't think twice about scaling them to amazing heights. He's long and lean, all limbs. I love how they're all folded up in this tree.



Quite naturally he is a wonderful brother to Noah. And Noah pays him much attention.

They have always been great friends to us and we love them dearly. It is such a joy to meet their children, such an eclectic blend of all that is wonderful in each of their parents. These last two show you everything you need to know about the fine family they are.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Emi, This particular post is an incredible gift from you to me. I am the proud mother and grandmother and you see what I thought only I could see. Thank you so much for your beautiful photograghy and your loving thoughts. Lois

Bruce said...

Emi,Your post made my day and much time beyond that. You captured their essence. Yesterday I was helping a young woman develop am afterschool program in the arts at Welch Middle School. I told her about how both of our kids had geat times and developed incredible friendships through such programs. It made me think of you and many other neat people. It was a joy to see this post from you this morning. Bruce

Molly Lyons said...

I don't know how to express my feelings about this gift of yours. I keep making comments about how talented you are but, truly, Emi, you have an eye into people's hearts, souls and relationships. (In my case, you also saw into my head!!! lol)
Your every shoot gets better and better and I am sure the lives of each person you capture will be enriched by your art hanging in their homes.
Then there's Grandma Lois who also gets enriched!!
What a gifted person you are; what a gift you are in many people's lives.
Love,
Moll

Rachel Walker said...

What a beautiful family and what beautiful pictures! I hope someday you can shoot me and my boy...