Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Bitty Biscuit Turns Four

OK let me just say 2009 has been a rough summer. For a lot of reasons. One of the toughest times in my life. Last summer was one of my best summers ever. The kids were just at these wonderful ages and we had so much fun playing together. So this year I decided not to put them in any camps. That we were going to have Camp Mom. And I was going to relax and enjoy them all day long as we lolly-gagged our way through the rotation of beach, park, pool.

(Seasoned parents already know where this is going and have determined that choice must mean I'm insane.)

The weather didn't cooperate. That was one. Chicago's famous Bummer Summer has had us damp and cold for much of the season. The other is that I'm just in a funk which is not conducive to running Camp Mom with much enthusiasm. And lastly the children's ages this year are less fun for me personally. And they are tough kids. They are. I love them but they're tough. And my sweet little Biscuit who is my lover and snuggler and give back girl is turning 4. Today. (Well today as I write this.) And 4 is a hard age in this household. It was a nearly impossible year for me with Collin. And my little Sadiekins has been way ahead of schedule with the arrival of attitude and sass and screaming. Oh the screaming! Fewer snuggles, more fights. Sibling rivalry! Time outs! Sensitivities!

And just like the cobbler's children have no shoes the Photographer's kids this year have few pictures. I just haven't had my camera out much all summer. I told you I was in a funk!

But I did pull together a highlight reel of the last year with Sadie Lady. A few pictures that capture the essence of my girl. The good the bad and the funny. Starting with my favorite picture of the year. One that perhaps best illuminates my summer mood....

In cuter dress up news we have Safari Girl. Or actually cowgirl. She thinks this is a cowgirl hat. And she's all riding the range when she puts it on. Even though she also wears the binoculars at the same time. Couldn't be more safari. But to her (and therefore to the rest of us) it's the Wild West.

If I had to choose one word that best describes Sadie's personality, it would be passionate. That displays on her with such joy and enthusiasm. She is as likely to scream and squeal with delight as she is to throw herself on the floor in hysterics. She's rather well known for her high pitched sometimes deafening happiness.


She has her moods too. She's passionately grumpy on occasion. And sad. She expresses all emotions with gusto.


But she is perhaps most well known for being a lover. I don't know how else to put it - she falls in love. Easily, transparently, and often. She's choosy to a certain extent but not at all stingy. She loves with her whole heart and soul.



For all her passion she can actually be rather thoughtful at times. Reflective, pensive, reverent. It doesn't happen often and it's easy to miss. But she thinks about things. Or maybe it's more that she spends time with quieter emotions as as well. (She is a feeler after all.) Her depth is not to be taken for granted.

That's my love bug. My Sadie Girl. Miss Kins. It's been a rough patch lately but overall she is my delight, my passion, she fills my soul with wonder and marvel and I am profoundly blessed for the gift she is in my life. I'm excited for her as she embarks on the adventure of pre-K but so sad to see how much my little girl is growing up. How much more independent she is. And I want to stop and scream to the heavens, "Wait! I didn't enjoy it as much as I should. I wasn't as present as I wanted to be. It was harder than I thought it would be. Can I take a make-up test?"

But there is no make up. There is no second chance. Her first 3 years are behind us. And while I know in my heart it has been wonderful for us both, the greedy and guilty part of me wishes I could bottle the best of those times and keep them close. That the worst of those times I could erase. And that everything in between somehow made a difference.


I love you Sadie Lady,
Momgon

1 comment:

Molly Lyons said...

I don't even know how to express my feelings over this one. You know where I'm at right now. I looked at this before settling down to re-cast my show, homework from Steve-rightly so, and decided to look at this first.
I have tears streaming down my face. I laughed, clearly I cried, I sighed, I missed you both.
You are a gift to so many. You have such a gift-this photography art you do. Sadie is such a gift. Probably many kinds of little gifties!! :)
Thank you for this. I was sad not to have been there already.
I love you,
Moll