Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Sundance with the Smyths

I had the good fortune to journey to Park City, Utah last week for the Sundance Film Festival. Well, kind of. Mostly I went to Park City to see our dear friends Sarah and Eric, their kids Grace and Will, and to meet their new baby, Owen Robert Smyth. The fact that we just so happened to time it for Sundance and Sarah scored awesome tickets for several premieres did not hurt. No, I will not be sharing my Sundance photos here on my blog. But don't be sad, the pictures of the Smyth family are way cuter. We'll start with the star of the show. Baby Owen. Here he is as I first met him.


He is - in a word - delicious. I sort of made it my job to pick him up and hold him whenever I could. I just couldn't resist. He got used to me (especially once I put the giant camera down) and would coo at me and even smiled at me. He's incredibly advanced where smiling is concerned. I refuse to believe it's gas, because when he's in his Mama's arms, he flashes her a smile that is not in any way connected to his GI tract. It's all flirty love for his favorite person.


He enjoys his siblings too. But more importantly they ADORE him. He is their favorite toy. The newness hasn't worn off at all and they spend almost all of their time looking at him, touching him, kissing him, helping Mom with him, etc. It is so incredibly cute. Here he is with big sister Grace and brother Will.


And let's not forget Dad. Eric is every ounce of Proud Papa that you'd want and expect. You can just see him dreaming of the day when he's out on the river teaching his sons to fly fish.


Here are some of Owen from my last day there. It was shocking how much he changed in just a few days. He is curious, an explorer at heart, very studious. He actively studies how his little body works and how to do his new tricks over and over again.


And I can't believe it but I actually got Will, age 3 and a half, to be still for a moment so I could capture him. Will is funny, sweet, sensitive, focused, loves his Mommy, and is very mechanical. This picture just makes my heart melt.

And then there's Grace, or Collin's betrothed, my future daughter-in-law. We'll call her Little Mama for now. She pours such joyful loving energy into Owen. I have no doubt that she will always be there for him, to guide and protect, maybe get him into trouble but never set him up for it. She is active, energetic, and very cool. Grace starts her day in the car with her shades on, singing and dancing to pop music on the radio. I have no doubt she'll be Most Popular, Homecoming Queen, Best Athlete, and all the rest. She loves people and people love her. I know I do!


All in all it was an incredible trip. I needed girlfriend time, and Sarah, like her daughter, is also one of those gals everyone loves. It restored my soul to hang out and be with their incredible family for a few days. I'd do it again in a heartbeat even without Sundance. Thanks for everything Smyths. Love you!


1 comment:

Darcie said...

What incredible pictures Emi! I am amazed by your creativity and talent. Sarah and Eric are so lucky to have these incredible images! It will be so fun to look back at these in the years to come. You really captured all of their personalities and some very precious moments that will last a lifetime!!