Monday, October 4, 2010

Happy Birthday

This is Betty. Or as she's often called in these parts - THE BETTY.

She is my local family. The fact that we're actually not related is a mere technicality. She, more than anyone else, shares the intimacies of my life. I call Betty on good days and bad days and she's always there for me. She is my rock and without her I'd be lost.

She's not only a rock for me, she's a rock for many. It's who she is. It's what she does. People are drawn to her vibrant light and supportive, safe, and encouraging nature.

Meet Bernadette and Alexa. Betty's actual relatives (well, 2 of several). The closest sister in age to her, her Irish twin, and soul sister. Alexa is Betty's niece, Bernadette's daughter. And they were here recently visiting from Betty's home state of Washington. Are you following along?

Good.

One of the things that makes Betty so special is her ability to feel deeply and truly adore her loved ones. She shares her heart abundantly. And she LOVES these two so much.


And thought it would be a nice birthday gift for Bernadette (and Alexa) to have a fun photo session.

I relished capturing them all together, having fun, enjoying each other, goofing off.


Alexa is 13. A teenager. And she's acting like a teenager. Her Mom is patient, forgiving, silly, sweet, and stern when she needs to be. She takes her parenting seriously and nothing in the world is more important than her daughter. Even if it's not obvious between them all the time (because that would be impossible) it's a truth that can't be denied or shaken.

The first time I met Bernadette she was on a trip by herself here in Chicago to see Betty. It was January 2009. We had this lovely dinner, her trip was almost over. And her heart was aching for Alexa. She was enjoying her time so much but saw Chicago through the eyes of someone who wishes she had her favorite person with her to share it. Later that night - thankfully safely in the care of her Betty - she got a call-in-the-middle-of-the-night. And journeyed home the next day hoping that no one would get to her daughter before she could, to tell Alexa her Daddy unexpectedly and suddenly died; he was gone and she'd never get to see him again. Hear him laugh. Have him hold her in his arms.

No young person should have their world so shaken. It just isn't right or fair.

But she's OK. She's a normal teenager. And she's been given the space to talk about her feelings and her Dad as often as she needs or wants to. And of course the little girl in her wishes she could bring him back even for just a moment.

But the strong young woman in her holds the key to wisdom some adults never learn, "Hey guess what life - you've shown me the worst and I didn't crumble. You.don't.scare.me."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love you Emi! Thank you for sharing this beautiful insight and joy felt felt by these touching relationships of our ever growing family. I have tears. It is absolutely beautiful and a gift from heaven that the love, bonds,and beauty in our relationships are truly felt by those we touch. It is a gift to live this through your eyes! I miss my sisters dearly...painfully...independent women that we are, distance physically separates us, but nothing can sever the bond we have that grows stronger, even through life's challenges. I am gifted with a beautiful family, a family that grows as our arms wrap around bringing special ones in. I am blessed to have you and your beautiful family included in ours. Again I love you and thank you so much! XOXO

Angela J Reeves said...

So beautiful! The ladies and the writing - what a fantastic family of strength to draw upon, even though no girl should ever have to.